RE: [squid-users] Squid transparent proxy and bridge question

From: usman fool <usman_fool@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:09:59 +0000

>From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
>To: usman fool <usman_fool@hotmail.com>
>CC: squid-users@squid-cache.org
>Subject: RE: [squid-users] Squid transparent proxy and bridge question
>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:34:39 +0100 (CET)
>
>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, usman fool wrote:
>
> > i was saying this because it was looking like he is running squid on
>that
> > bridge.
> > bsd bridges can have ip addresses dont know if its possible in linux or
>not.
>
>Linux bridges can have IP addresses, and in fact is a must if you want to
>run a proxy there but it is not the point.
>
> > >ip forwarding is not needed in bridge mode.. bridge forwarding is..
> >
> > same reason i stated earlier.
>
>ip forwarding should not be needed in a bsd bridge either.. a bridge is
>by definition forwarding Ethernet frames, not IP forwarding.
>
>Please do not confuse bridge with routing or proxy-arp. a bridge operates
>at the Ethernet layer and is not related to IP forwarding while routing
>(including proxy-arp) operates at the IP layer and needs IP forwarding.

u are very right.

i know we are pretty off topic but let me tell u mine point.becoz u are not
understanding me well.
which is due to unclear question.
consider a example which i considered in this problem.

a machine with 2 ethernet cards (eth0,eth1) operating as bridge whereas its
1 ethernet interface(eth1) has ip address and squid is running on it, now
that machine is connected to internet through ppp0 (as pp0 is not part of
bridge) . ipforwarding is enabled to communicate between eth1 and ppp0.

a machine acting as a bridge and router at the same time.
which i have done in openbsd.

>?Regards
>Henrik

regards