Re: [squid-users] Authentication with Samba

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:13:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Tilo Lutz wrote:

> > > Do I really have to use winbind?
> > Yes, if you want any kind of reliable operation.
>
> Do I have to make a complete winbind setup with
> changing /etc/nsswitch.conf and files in /etc/pam.d
> or is OK winbind is just running.

Just winbind is sufficient. But beware of computer trust account
expiration... (see Squid FAQ).

> Do you know where I can get a list of ntml aware browers?
> I know IE works and newer versions of mozilla should also
> support ntml. But whats about opera and konqueror?

See respective browsers home page for their level of support for NTLM.

There is also a simple authentication proxy which can be used to wrap any
browser capable of Basic HTTP authentication converting them to use NTLM
authentication. See the Squid related sofware page.