RE: [squid-users] squid and firefox

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:56:45 +0100

>I've a problem here. Don't laugh at me, I'm only doing what my customers
>want. I know this is not a squid issue at all and this should go to
>firefox forum but if you guys have some tips I'll be grateful
>
>I've five mozilla firefox browsers installed on linux. Each browser is
>allowed out via squid proxy which authenticates using an external auth.
>A usr/passwd is given to the client and it expires after 30 min. I have
>all the controls in squid i.e when the user is logging in, when to kick
>them out etc etc. Authentication mechanism is basic and a dialog pops
>up on the browser after 30 min expiry.
>
>Now I want the browser to display a timer. How do I do it please? Since
>this timer has to synchronise with a successful login.. I guess I'll
>have to hack firefox code.
>
>Second thing is if a user has forgotten to log out of a say yahoo or
>hotmail account, I don't want the next customer to read the previous
>customers emails etc.

Since it's on Linux, couldn't you simply remove the ability to run Firefox
from icons etc, and then create script that maybe runs Firefox, then after
30 mins closes it again? Any user would simply run a shortcut to the script
from maybe the desktop, and then you'd be sure that after 30 mins Firefox
would close again? May not quite be as simple as I think but I'm pretty
sure it would work?

If you set Firefox not to keep history, cookies etc when closed then I see
no problems with previous users settings being found by others?

Can't comment on the timer, though it is possible that something may already
exist that is purely a 'timer app' in Linux. You could maybe call this to
run at the same time as you start Firefox, and then the user can check this
app at any time? The script would then close this app when it closes
Firefox ?

hth

Regards,

Chris