Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5 and Range requests

From: Marc Slaon <osuser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:04:52 -0700

Hi,
As you say, it is hard to strike a right balance between downloading too
much and not downloading data that can be cached. This is especially hard
for general purpose cache engines like Squid without some knowledge about
the access patters of the URLs being accessed.

Since Squid provides parameters to change the behavior, I think it is doing
a very good job.
Some suggestions would be
* Provide a higher default than 16KB for quick_abort_max parameter.
* Provide the ability to configure the quick_abort_* and range_offset_limit
parameters on a URL regular expression basis rather than 1 set for all the
URLs. For ex, this allows Administrators to configure downloads from a
particular site to become more cacheable, but not change the parameters for
every other URLs from other sites.

Thanks
Marc.