Re: [squid-users] Using ident to authorize users in transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:08:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Rob Hartzenberg wrote:

> I am interested in using ident or something similar to control who is
> allowed to browse and who isnt.

This is not easily done in a transparent proxy unless your OS has strong
IP-Spoofing capabilities.

IDENT needs to make the query using the source address of the contacted
server.

As you are looking into dial-up users I would recommend integrating Squid
with your dial-up ACE. If your ACE supports querying what user is at what
dial-up IP then you can easily integrate this into Squid via
external_acl_type.