Re: [squid-users] my squid doesnt use its cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:28:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 walter.mauritz@wu-wien.ac.at wrote:

> Cacheability engine:
> http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py?query=http%3A%2F%2F62.178.190.10%3A8440%2Fsma_test%2FlistVS.do
>
> it tells: Cache-Control no-cache
>
> so I think that I have to remove <meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache"> from
> the file.
> BUT: on loading the output in the browser and viewing the html source, there is no such meta-
> tag in it?

What you need to remove is the HTTP header "Cache-Control: no-cache". See
your JSP documentation on how to control HTTP headers.

> 1) Is it possible, that the Header (no-cache) has been set, without showing up in the html
> source? (maybe new in http1.1

HTTP headers never show up in source.

meta http-equiv is a ugly cludge supported by few (if any) servers
allowing html to specify HTML headers. It is also abused by some browsers.

> 2) Can Squid somehow override "no-cache"?

In theory yes, but this requires some coding and goes way outside of what
is allowed to do in proxies by the HTTP standard..