Re: [squid-users] Problen with cache_dir

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:58:43 +0200

My recommendation is "better safe than sorry".

I had exactly the same problem (no more disk space) with our old system
(Sun E450, 8GB disks) and the whole thing crashed in the middle of the
day with hundreds of users noticing...

Reiserfs starts to degrade quite early (at 80%). I am quite sure about
NTFS as well. I am however not sure if e.g. Solaris UFS degrades.
Really sure that _every_ FS degrades?

Reserved space for the superuser must be taken into account (ext3
default 5%, dont know the figures for reiserfs and solaris ufs)
and the layout (max number of files, inodes).

I want a fast squid, therefore I am using multiple disks of decent size.
In this case the limit is the RAM to hold the index.

I agree that my "soft" limit can be pushed much further.

Regards, Hendrik.