Re: [squid-users] Problen with cache_dir

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:48:49 +0200

On 14.05 18:58, Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:
> I had exactly the same problem (no more disk space) with our old system
> (Sun E450, 8GB disks) and the whole thing crashed in the middle of the
> day with hundreds of users noticing...
>
> Reiserfs starts to degrade quite early (at 80%). I am quite sure about
> NTFS as well. I am however not sure if e.g. Solaris UFS degrades.

it is documented iirc.

> Really sure that _every_ FS degrades?

Well, I can't imagine a FS stored on disk, whose performance wouldn't
degrade if it's filled up... fragmentation is very important, many FS's
are automatically defragmenting files, which ie becoming harder if there's
not enough of free space. If there's no automatic def

Our FreeBSD's FS degraded its performance when loaded over 90%

> I want a fast squid, therefore I am using multiple disks of decent size.

You can try to fill up disk to 75%, that should not harm. I think
"iostat -d" and "iostat -D" still work good.