RE: [squid-users] Newbie questions

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:36:53 -0400

A proxy can server "protect" users from bad public internet sites, or
"protect" internal servers from bad internet users.

A proxy server proxies, or fetches, information for the user. Normally a
proxy server sits on the company network and retrieves information for the
users of the network. If the information has already been grabbed and
cached, then it doesn't regrab the information.

Ie: Sue comes into work and checks Google. An hour later Tom comes into work
and visits Google. Why download the graphic twice? Same for news stories,
etc.

A reverse proxy faces the other way. Rather than having a web server sitting
on the internet, it is hidden behind the proxy.

Before: The public internet users visit web1.website.com and get webpages.
They are also directly interfacing with this web server.

After: The public internet users visit web1.website.com, which is now the
reverse proxy, or squid running in accelerated mode. Squid visits the
internal webserver, not the users. Squid gets the information and passes it
back to the user.
Web1.website.com/web1 might get a user information from the company news
server
Web1.website.com/extranet might give users information from another internal
webserver.

The important part is that the web servers are more secure, because the
users only know of the Squid. Only port 80 (or port 443) needs to be open
through the firewall, connecting users from the net to Squid. Squid can then
use various other ports, on the user's behalf, and reach other servers...on
the user's behalf.

Squid can also be set up to load balance (which I know it can do but haven't
personally done) so that if you have multiple web servers, with the same
content, squid can direct users to the least used server.

If there is some other difference between "accelerated mode" and "reverse
proxy" I'd appreciate hearing about it. I picked up the book, Squid, the
Definitive Guide, which helped me a lot, but I am still not where I need to
be knowledge wise with Squid yet.

Chris Perreault