Re: [squid-users] HEAD requests on a reverse proxy

From: Emilio Casbas <ecasbas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:04:32 +0200

Nick wrote:

>Hello, I have two servers running squid as a reverse proxy. The squid servers caches pages that come from another server running Apache. When squid was initially setup I denied HEAD requests but now I need to allow HEAD requests. We have a Cisco GSS load balancer that probes the server using HTTP HEAD requests. Are there any security issues when allowing HEAD requests on a squid proxy.
>
>Thanks,
>Nick

I think there isn't any security issues with HEAD
requests. The HEAD method behaves exactly
like the GET method, but the server returns only
the headers in the response. No entity body is
ever returned.
In any case you can make an external_acl_type
with request_method and enable only for
the Cisco Load Balancer.

Emilio C.