Re: [squid-users] filtering solution

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:16:10 +0200

Rodney Richison wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I need a solution and figured it would start with squid. Need to implement
> filtering at a small library to get compliant with the law. However, they
> will need the ability to temporarily turn off filtering on ANY machine if an
> adult so desires with a password. Kinda like "bess" if any of you are
> familiar with it.
>

> Could you guys point me in a direction please? I've loaded dansguardian,
> but see no way to let them turn the filter off for say 30 minutes if they
> desire.

Probably if you combine acl-based filtering and authentication in squid.
No idea how long the authentication is valid (i.e. may be used by the
next user...) neither how acl-based filtering performs.
We use squidguard. It is very fast, but every blocked request is
redirected. Cant see a way to turn that off temporarily.
What does the law require? Any blacklist has false positives and missing
entries. How do you define the black/whitelists?

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer