RE: [squid-users] SSL logging

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:46:29 +0200

> I'm trying to find a way to log more information about SSL
> sessions, in
> particular, the number of kilobytes transferred in each SSL session. I
> know its not possible or desirable to be able to log URL's,
> or content in
> an SSL session, but it should be possible to see the total
> amount of bytes
> transferred in the session. (This does not presently seem to
> take place,
> using SSL webmail to upload several megabyte+ files I can see
> that it is
> not tracking correctly the number of bytes transferred...) I'm using
> squid 2.5.STABLE1-2 from the Red Hat 9 package set. Running on RH9 on
> x86.
>
> If squid can't provide this information can anyone suggest a
> way to gather
> this stat? (Other than tcpdump on 443... )

 Note that in case of SSL , SQUID kind of ties up browser versus
server connections together using the CONNECT method.
In this context SQUID is not aware of 'sessions'; the only one authority
about that is the browser in that context. Which then could provide
the information you want.
Probably ,and indeed, this is not implemented in most browsers.

M.