[squid-users] Re: gzip

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:35:04 -0400

ohenry wrote:

> Is there a patch to squid2 or squid3 that will gzip it's content before
> sending it to the proxied browsers, thereby helping people on slow links
> (modems) who are connected to a squid proxy on a fast link?

I'm not a Squid developer, but I have not seen any mention of such a patch
on this list, and every time a Squid developer talks about it, it's
something that's planned, but not yet implemented.

> Also Swell Technology claims to have such a patch up for ransom. Does
> anyone know if their patch is for real and if it works as I described
> above?

No idea - never heard of the company. I don't know how much they're
charging, but rather than purchasing that, you (and others who are
interested) could instead invest the money in sponsoring a Squid developer
to implement it in Squid proper.

Adam