Re: [squid-users] How to increase TCP-HIT ratio

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michal Weinfurtner wrote:

> Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michal Weinfurtner wrote:
> > As an aside, you may want to check the configuration of a browser that
> > fails to load the images. Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, etc. have a
> > "security" feature that prohibits the loading of images that come from a web
> > site other than that of the page being displayed. If this is enabled, Squid
> > will not be sent the request until the user clicks on the "broken" image
> > symbol.
> >
> > One site that I rcall exhibiting this behaviour was www.cnn.com. They had
> > separate servers for the page images.
> >
> I think that it is not this case. First, i don't see broken image icon, but
> small red cross in red square in MSIE. And sometimes pages are loaded right
> and sometimes same page ha this problem :-(

I believe that MSIE uses the small red-cross in a square to indicate that
it did not or failed to download the content. If you have access to a
system that exhibits this behaviour, I would suggest grep'ping the
access.log for requests from this system to see if it requested the
content that should have been displayed. The status associated with the
request in the access.log should provide you a hint as to the root cause
of the problem.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard