RE: [squid-users] Using a helper program with squid

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:12:49 -0400

Your message hasn't been on the list for even 24 hours yet. Not everyone who
might have an answer monitors the list every single day. For a fast response
time there are squid consultants happy to answer questions immediately for a
fee.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but it looks like you want one
person to go to a website but have the requested page show up on another
computer instead.

Networking 101: review the OSI model.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/introint.htm

Also, the browser establishes a 3 way handshake as part of the start up
communications that take place.
SYN (hi, I'd like to talk with you)
ACK/SYN (ok, lets talk)
ACK (great, here we go)

These get passed in the http headers, prior to the actual transfer of data
from the webserver to the browser and you would need to have these passed
where you wanted them to go to have this concept work.

I don't know enough about squid to give a yes or no, but can point you to
the FAQ on www.squid-cache.org, the above link, and the suggestion you look
into the way browsers and servers communicate back and forth as a means of
figuring this out.

Off the top of my head, I would say no, because even if you got the packets
to go to the internet based PC....how would it know what to do with the
information it got? Browsers pull information in, after requesting that
information. Servers do not dial up browsers and pop data into them. (and
what a mess it would be if they could...you think spam is bad....)

Chris