[squid-users] RAID question

From: Kvetch <kvetch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:36:28 -0400

I have been reading a bunch of threads in the archives about using
RAID and Squid. I see using RAID 5 is not the best idea but still had
a couple questions about RAID. I have 4 machines I am going to use
for squid all as a reverse proxy to an app server and database. I
would like all machines to load balance calls to the sites. Currently
each machine does not have any drives in them but they do have
hardware RAID controllers. For redundancy and recovery reasons we
would like to use RAID so I was wondering if either of the following
would be a better scenario than the other or if anyone else has any
better suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

One setup I thought would be to just put two 72GB drives in there and
mirror them using RAID1 and install the OS and squid on the RAID.

The other way I was thinking would be to setup 3 drives, 2 for the OS
on RAID1 and 1 drive separated from the RAID that would hold the
cache. (it doesn't matter if the squid app is actually on the RAID,
does it? Or should it be on the separate drive). Would this scenario
work well with squid?

I have about 30 sites running on these servers. Is setting up one
cache_dir my best solution? How do I determine what size I should
make my cache_dir?

Thanks,
Nick