[squid-users] Logging username with upstream authenticated proxy

From: Hutton, Benjamin <Hutton.Benjamin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:38:36 +0800

I currently have Squid & Dansguardian setup.  Squid is setup as a downstream to our governing organizations proxy which requires authentication.

This setup has been working quite well for some time now, but I've recently written a redirect script for squid which requires IP and Username information from Squid.

It appears from reading the logs that all I can expect from squid is the address of the Dansguardian box.  Now I've read through a lot of mailing lists on the subject and have discovered that the only way to get around this is put another squid box before the Dansguardian box.

I've since tried this but have had two major problems

1. The username doesn't come up in my access.log and isn't available in my redirect script in the first Squid box.  Now I know that the information is available since it comes up in Dansguardian's logs.

2. Web addresses that contain variables don't come through - but work fine if I redirect the browser to the Dansguardian server

My squid boxes have the following cache_peer directives

- This is the box after Dansguardian (contecting to out upstream - which requires authentication) cache_peer      x.x.x.x      parent 3128 0 no-query default login=PASS

- This is the box before Dansguardian
cache_peer      x.x.x.x      parent 8080 0 proxy-only no-query default login=PASS

Thanks in advance

Ben