Re: [squid-users] Logging username with upstream authenticated proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:07:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Hutton, Benjamin wrote:

> I currently have Squid & Dansguardian setup.  Squid is setup as a downstream to our governing organizations proxy which requires authentication.

In such case the username is never really known to Squid, just passed
along to the parent..

but is should be possible with the help of the custom logformats patch to
extend Squid to log the forwarded username. At a minimum (no changes
required) it can log the Proxy-Authorization header as-is allowing
logprocessing software to decode the login name from there but with some
small amount of programming Squid can be extended to automatically extract
the login for use in the log file.

To extract it for use in redirectors is a little harder as the user has
not authenticated to your Squid, only to the parent. But it is not
technically impossible to implement.