RE: [squid-users] SSL and Reverse Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:05:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Chris Perreault wrote:

> We do not have multiple domain names pointing to the same IP address, but on
> the back-end we do have multiple different servers, each reached via the
> string following the domain, ie:
> Myweb.com/intranet --> origin intranet server
> Myweb.com/extranet --> origin extranet server

This is of no relevance to the vhost directive.

vhost only is of relevance to how Squid accepts the requests, not how they
are forwarded.

> The "vhost" implicitly sets "accel", which is why things were functioning
> before.

It also makes Squid pick up the hostname from the Host header.

> What downsides were there to using vhost instead of accel/defaultsite=?

If there was requests using another Host header then Squid would have
picked this up for the host name instead, with whatever effects this would
have had on the rest of your configration and/or servers.

> Is it just better performance by not checking the host header?

There should not be any difference in performance.