Re: [squid-users] How to retreve upload and download separately from access.log

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:32:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 rakesh@saysnetsoft.com wrote:

> I have tried the option {content-length} as suggested by you but that
> doesn't solve my problem as I'm not looking for content-length of the
> Request/Response.
> What i needed was the total bytes sent out as well as total bytes received
> by a particular IP in my network which is also using squid.

If you log the request content-length header then you get the size of
content uploaded to the Internet.

What is not included is the overhead of the HTTP request as such (URL,
headers, cookies).

> Is there any way to get that type of log in squid.?

Not without first implementing the function within Squid.

> As i have seen people using Squid 2.4 and maintaining the records of the
> UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD separately.

They probably get the information elsewhere, such as by network level
statistics etc.

> After directing the packets to squid port do they pass through firewall
> again.?

This depends on your network topology and firewall ruleset.

> If they pass through the firewall then through which Chain they pass..?

Depends on your type of firewall.