Re: [squid-users] Squid and ISA/ Viruswall

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:37:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Voelker Christian wrote:

> Now our problem: When we are trying to download a bigger file (like
> above); the download starts as usual; it boosts as usual. Some few
> minutes after the boost the browser tells me "download finished". When I
> take a look in my home- dir, there is the file, but it is a lot smaller
> than it should be (150- 300MB; should be 700MB).
>
> Is there anyone here, who can give me a little approach to the solution?
> Where should i have a look?

first verify that you have not tuned your Squid wrongly by client_lifetime
or similar timeout option causing the download to terminate. The default
settings is good.

Then enable log_mime_hdrs in squid.conf and pay close attention to the
Content-Length header in the reply and compare this with the total size of
the reply logged by Squid. content-length should be the size of the
downloaded file and The total size should be slightly larger than the
content-length.

If you see that the content-length header is smaller than it should be
then something upstream of your Squid is truncating the expected size of
the reply. Squid relies on the HTTP standard and will only send
Content-Length size reply to the client.

If the content-length is correct but the total reply size too small then
more detailed analysis is required. Basically you need to determine who is
closing the connection fisrt

   a) Client -> Squid

   b) Upstream proxy -> Squid

   c) Squid -> Clent

   d) Squid -> Upstream proxy (very unlikely).

This is best done using a packet analyser such as tcpdump or ethreal and
look for in which direction the first FIN packet is seen in the download
session.