Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy + HTTPS

From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:13:06 -0600

Hello,

        Squid can not filter the content of a HTTPS connection or the URL but it can still act as a proxy for HTTPS connections
using the CONNECT method. Using squid for this will provide logging information on who is connecting to what IP /
domain.

This can be use full because there are a lot of tunnel software on the web designed to bypass proxy servers using this
method. For example some people may want to run MSN messenger on the network which is blocked ... so they install this
simple tunnelling software allowing them to to have the MSN client make a connection over the tunnel to a socks proxy
externally for MSN.

We only allow HTTPS connections to a list of domains.

Michael.

--
Michael Gale
Network Administrator