Re: [squid-users] Authenticating against NT4 domain using squid-proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:21:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 Juergen_Fischer@gmx.de wrote:

> We are using Squid (2.5.STABLE6) as our proxy server. If someone on a
> Windows OS Client goes to a site with NT4 domain authentication the
> following error is reported:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198116

   In summary, Basic authentication does not require an implicit end-to-end
   state, and can therefore be used through a proxy server. Windows NT
   Challenge/Response authentication requires implicit end-to-end state and
   will not work through a proxy server.

> 11.14 Does Squid work with NTLM Authentication?

This is about client<->proxy authentication, not client<->web server
authentication.

> Can anyone explain what I have to do, please:

Have the web server configured to support any of the HTTP standard
authentication schemes Basic or Digest.

Or your can use the NTLM authentication proxy to make the proxy
authenticate using NTLM to the web server and Client
-> NTLM authentication proxy using Basic authentication.