Re: [squid-users] Parent cache with digest auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:21:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Andrew Jackson wrote:

> That will pass my authentication through won't it?

Yes.

> My existing setup has squid knowing my username and password and hence I
> never have to type it in. That allows programs to have no need to know
> about authenticated proxies (and I don't have to type my password in all
> the time).
>
> I was using login=username:password, but this seems to not work with
> digest auth.

Correct. This method only works with Basic auth between the proxies.

You could look into implementing an Digest client in Squid to allow Squid
using Digest authentication to authenticate to the parent, but a
substantial amount of C coding and thinking on the proper state machine is
needed for doing this, and in addition there is some complications in how
to handle requests with a request entity (POST/PUT and a few others).