Re: [squid-users] dial-up connects - mobile stucks !!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:35:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, bimal pandit wrote:

> i configured a squid squid-2.5.STABLE1-2 server on redhat 9, now when i
> connect it with my landline phone using serial modem everything works
> fine while as soon as i use a mobile phone(USB) it gets
> connected(server) and i can browse on the server but it does not
> distributes it to the clients as it does with dial up!!

Configure the clients to use the proxy and you'll avoid a lot of hazards
and problems.

> 4)the mobile i am using is Samsung N191 with Reliance India Mobile
> connection(RIM),though i contacted these people(RIM) but .... very POOR
> RESPONSE!!

If you get Interne connectivity from the local machine then there is
nothing wrong with the phone connection and the problem is local to your
server, network or clietns.

Your problem is most likely in one of the following areas

  * DNS configuration on the clients (as you are using transparent
interception)

  * Routing / IP Forwarding not enabled (as your are using transparent
interception)

  * Firewall rules not matching correctly when using the USB connection (as
you are using transparent interception)

  * Or your local network is totally fucked up and your other clients do
not at all know how to reach your server (less likely).