[squid-users] Problems with Java and NTML authenication (java.io.IOException when using NTLM authenication)

From: Adam Pearse <apearse@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:36:02 -0600

This message is simply to be used for searching in the future as I
have found many people asking this question and not getting a concise
answer back. This is my contribution to the problem.

Environment:
squid-2.5.STABLE5-4
samba-3.0.7

Squid is configured to use NTLM authenication for all outbound http
connections to the Internet. squid.conf contains the following:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 30
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes

auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic children 15
auth_param basic realm Some Domain Name
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

Problem:
If Squid is configured to use auth_param ntlm only (so auth_param
basic lines are not present or commented out, unlike the above
example), sites that use java applets such as
http://javatester.org/version.html, will error out with a
java.io.IOException in the java console. This seems to apply to older
(pre 1.4 ??) versions of java. We ran into the problem using Oracle's
JInitiator Control Panel 1.1.8.16.

Solution:
Ensure you have the following in your squid.conf

auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic children 15
auth_param basic realm Some Domain Name
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

This will then prompt the user for username and password.

Please feel free to add comments to this but in attempting to
troubleshoot this particular problem, I found several people asking
the questions and no answers were given.