Re: [squid-users] multiple connections with failover

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:26:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Daniel Fenert wrote:

> I have two (for now) internet connections, one is exclusively for www usage,
> and the other for everything else.
> The problem is that 'www connection' hangs from time to time (usually once a
> week). I would like to setup squid for failover operation (when one connection
> dies, it should switch to other).
>
> What is the best way to solve this problem?

Generally I would advice to solve it by routing. Monitor the link and when
it goes down change the default gateway of the Squid proxy to the other,
and when available again change it back.

Combine this with source routing to not crash existing connections when
switching (some ISPs does not like seeing source addresses of another
ISP from their customers..)