[squid-users] room for improvement in my proxy architecture

From: Gaylord Van Brocklin <vanbrockling@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:38:04 -0700

My current setup:

- Internal Network (20,000+ nodes) --->
- (2) Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon, 4GB Ram, 18GB SCSI OS Disk, 73GB SCSI Cache
Disk, Squid on FreeBSD (Active/Passive setup using freevrrpd). --->
- (2) Linux boxes running Trend Interscan Viruswall, also configured in
an active/passive setup using cache_peer to point to the active box at
the time --->
- Internet - and we sustain roughly 10-15 Mb/s of traffic during the
day.

I have been tasked with replacing and re-architecting the Anti Virus
servers using the newer Trend Product (the old one is going away).

One problem that I have had in the past with load balancing between the
two AV servers is that the destination web servers see the traffic
coming from two different IP addresses so some session based websites
(things like Cox Webmail) don't work properly.

I would like to take advantage of both Squid boxes in a Load Balancing
setup instead of having a hot standby box, and also use both AV boxes.

How are you guys doing this?
Thoughts?

-gvb