Re: [squid-users] redirector with Shutdown flag

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:34:23 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Valentin Chopov wrote:

> According to the Squid FAQ the only way to shutdown the redirectors is
> to close their stdin (squid's stdout). My understanding is that the shutdown
> flag is only for squid and there is no way redirectors to know about it.

The redirector knows about it by the simple fact that stdin is EOF.

> So if for some reason redirector send something to stdout (squid's
> stdin) after squid set the Shutdown flag, squid will keep this
> redirector in service ... am I right? Thanks, Val

Squid keeps the redirector in the table until the redirector acknowledges
the close (by closing it's stdout) and exits, but it won't (and can't)
send any new requests there as the communication channel squid->helper has
been closed.

It can happen perfectly fine that a helper is shut down while processing a
request. In this case the helper should send the response when done
processing the current request and then exit.