Re: [squid-users] Big problems with authenticator!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:04:49 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Janno de Wit wrote:

> It seems Squid keeps all auth-helpers busy, is this possible?
> I've configured 100 helpers, because squid claims at 32 that it needs
> more...

Then you have some problem in the helper <-> authentication directory
server communication, or something in your environmen is making your Squid
send very many authentication requests.

> Now all helpers in Cache-manager are markted with "AB", which meens:
>
> A = ALIVE B = BUSY

Which means that Squid is waiting for all the helpers to respond to ther
pending authentication requests.

Check your squid.conf auth_param basic settings, especially the ttl
options, and the communication to your authentication server.

Also look in your access.log to determine if there is some client making
extremely many failed authentication requests. Could be a user trying to
bruteforce passwords or similar.