Re: [squid-users] Failover & Load Balance

From: Andrew Sawyers <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:08:40 -0500

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>In theory.. I think I need to experiment on this then.

You do not want to do this...I saw someone say you wanted to be on the
same subnet; I wouldn't even do it that way if it were me. I would run
serial cable direct or I would run crossover cable directly to
interfaces. The last thing you want is heartbeat flapping due to
latency. Usually heartbeat works well, but I have seen it bring up all
services/interfaces on all the servers which were failover for one
another. It is possible, and as you can imagine, it's not a case you
want a production environment to be in.

>Seeing that you're a sys-admin for managed hosting, do you have any tips
>on load-balance for multiple thousands of squid users?

We use LVS (Linux Virtual Server) as our loadbalancer at the moment.
www.ultramonkey.org and www.linuxvirtualserver.org

>What's the likelihood that squid will fail and then users are left w/o
>any I-net connections?

It's going to fail - it is just a matter of when.

Andrew