RE: [squid-users] Compiling Squid and Linux Red Hat

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:51:32 -0900

Try this:

cd /usr/local/squid/src
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid

That should get the compile started. RedHat 9 is no longer supported. You
might be better off installing the newest Fedora Core
(http://fedora.redhat.com/) (or an other distribution of Linux, such as SUSE
http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/index.html), and using the supplied package
files. When you start compiling software on a distribution that doesn't use
that as its primary update method (Gentoo is one that does), you become more
responsible for keeping it up to date. Instead of just using YUM
(http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/) or apt-rpm
(http://freshrpms.net/apt/) to keep your system up to date, you have to
monitor mailing lists. Not that there's anything wrong with that. *shrug*

In any case, you might check to see if your school library has any books on
Linux administration.

Chris