RE: [squid-users] Performance tuning Squid box for ISP traffic

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:23:37 +0100

> People should be more specific than just "dont use raid!".
> Modern hardware
> raid-boxes with GB's of cache are blazingly fast even on
> RAID-5. Ofcourse
> you shouldn't spend such money for cache which you can lose
> without problems,
> but if you have some free space on some raid-box why not use it..

  You are absolutely right. I have been using a raid-5 cache dir
of 40Gb for 3 years with no performance problems at all.
This setup was not really intentional, but the box was that way
let's say.
The only thing I can see is, that from past incidents that there
is still plenty of 'spare-throughput' w.r.t. current load in http reqs/sec.
I tend someday to reconfigure the box, if for instance squid-3 comes out
because I am getting to old on the os installed too (linux 2.2).
But for the moment there is no need at all to go into those things.

M.