RE: [squid-users] Outputting to SYSLOG

From: Stephen <ssha@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:41:13 -0000

Hi John,

Sorry to send this reply back to the maillist, but I can't seem to send messages to your private address.

NSLOOKUP for warpix.org fails..., and I can't send an attachement to this list either....

Unfortunately, Squid won't send activity output to syslog on its own. There are other ways:.....

1) Attached is a file called requests.zip. It contains two OS/2 executables.

Use WPCREQ to send a command (via the supplied client.exe) to Squid to recieve info about active requests, .e.g.:

adminname and password are your squid management credentials. WPCREQ talks to the server on which it is running.

You can use any of the standard Squid commands with WPCREQ. I can also give you another EXE and a REXX script to tidy the outputted HTML into a text-only summary.

2) OS/2 also has other unique features that *can* allow the logging to be sent to a Syslog,
but this would not be reproduceable under Linux. A simple REXX script can be written to send the activity output to a Syslog.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any more.

Regards,
Stephen

The HENLEY College
This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the
addressee only and may contain information that is confidential
and/or legally privileged.

Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or
otherwise use this message, including any picture or graphic and any
attachment, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee. We
make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you
do need to verify this e-mail and any attachments to it to be virus
free as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which
might be transferred by way of this e-mail.