Re: [squid-users] How to increase the performance of Squid in accelerator mode?!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:27:10 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Squid Mailinglist Member wrote:

> we are running a Squid on a dual xeon LAMP machine (so it's a LSAMP ;-) as an
> accelerator for the web page on the machine.
> So far so good, but the traffic would be bigger in future so what can I do to
> increase the performance or reduce the cpu usage of Squid?

The simplest action is to

  a) Make Squid conservative with the number of filedescriptors it uses by
disabling persistent connections and support for half closed connections.

  b) If your Squid is I/O bound then add more drives. Should not be the
case in an accelerator.

Then there is the more long term action of helping with getting Squid-3
and it's epoll implementation stable. epoll should allow Squid to manage
significantly more concurrent connections without wasting too much CPU.

And are you sure you want these?