RE: [squid-users] Hotmail problem

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:39:45 +1100

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 21:11 +0000, Lucia Di Occhi wrote:
> I have just tried disabling the ACL
>
> acl hotmail_domains dstdomain .hotmail.msn.com
> header_access Accept-Encoding deny hotmail_domains
>
> and I got the blank page again. Hotmail has not fixed it. It would be nice
> to understand what is causing the blank page from a technical perspective.
> Does anyone have a clue on what is causing the blank page on some browsers
> using transparent mode?

I haven't traced it, but I'll take an educated guess.

Hotmail may be doing entity encoding that is not valid when they see a
client provide an Accept-Encoding header on an HTTP/1.0 request. Why
that would result in a blank page I'm not sure... but a tcpdump of the
actual page delivered, with the headers would probably show it up
quickly. My WAG would be an incompatible mix of Content-Encoding and
body data.

Rob