Re: [squid-users] automatic windows updates

From: Michael Thompson <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:38:06 +0000

Alex Sharaz wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> For a long time now I've blocked direct http/s access to the Internet
> from out site and forced everyone to go via our web caches. This has
> been working just fine until recently when automatic updates stated
> failing.
>
> Basically, you can check to see if there are any updates and what they
> are , but when it comes to actually performing the download of the
> updates, the client seems to want access to the update site directly.
> We * think* its something to do with the version of auto update that's
> running (v5?)
> has anyone else seen this happening?
>
> Alex
>

> Sent using Mulberry 3.1.2

Yes, exactly the same happens here, used to be fine, but now Autoupdates
are blocked. I too force users to use the proxy, and in the firewall
logs, I see that Port 80 is blocked, so *something* in the Autoupdate
software is trying to use port 80, and go round the proxy, but the
firewall catches it. Not a fault with Squid, Something in there is
trying to access M$ without observing the OS proxy settings!

Mike