[squid-users] squid much slower than direct dl for large files

From: Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:48:14 +0100

Hello

I've checked some tests downloading some large files (ISO) with or
without squid.

It appears that when a client use the proxy running squid
the download process is much slower ( say two time slower )
when the client perform a direct download.

our bandwith to the Internet was recently upgraded from 3 to 10 Mbits/s

The machine is a Compaq proliant 2.8 Ghz single CPU with 2.5 GB RAM
and the cache size is 20 GB on a 15k/rpm disk.
It's running on FreeBSD 5.2.1-R

I've checked the doc without success ...

anyone could give some help ?

Thanks
Frank