Re: [squid-users] Show a message -- then redirect

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:33:45 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] paul kölle wrote:

> python. Now I have a problem with tranparent proxying. My proxy doesn't
> receive the full path of the request (just the part after the hostname) when
> the request is REDIRECTed with iptables (if I configure the proxy in the
> client it works well). What I'd like to know:
>
> 1. Can I do the above with squid?

Not easily. The problem is a state question. HTTP is stateless so it is
somewhat hard for the proxy to know that the user has seen the message.

> 2. What is special about transparent proxying I have to implement in my own
> proxy?

Interception proxying requires you to act as if you were the web server,
so you must reconstruct the full URL from the pieces found in the request
and connection

In principle the data you have are:

   * Real destination IP address from the connection
   * URL-Path from the request method
   * Requested hostname from the Host header if there is one.