RE: [squid-users] Challenge/Response with Cache Peers (NTLM)

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:17:37 +0100

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:25, fx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the "main cache" unit forwards requests to the two peers, which are
> set as parents with icp enabled. There is no logging or authentication until
> the "squid NTLM" unit at which stage the user is authenticated against the
> Windows 2003 machine. I have it working perfectly if I point directly to
> "squid NTLM", but if I point to "main cache" it fails. If I look in the log
> when its successful I get DOMAIN\user - when it fails all I see is user...
>
> I hope this has explained it more...
>
> The main goal is to do single signon through multiple cache's with
> login=PASS set on the peers

Let me sum if I understood correctly: users need to be able to access
any cache using NTLM; caches are in a hierarchy, child caches need to
forward user credentials to the parent cache, right?

If so, it can't be done out of the box, and it's not trivial to
implement (but possible).
What can be done out of the box is either

- not logging user credentials for forwarded requests on the parent
cache

- distinguishing cache roles, so that users MUST go through the child
proxy. If so, there is no need to forward credentials at all; all the
user logging is done at the child cache level.

        Kinkie