Re: [squid-users] log_fqdn only for external addresses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:28:02 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, H Matik wrote:

> I never needed this and only now it came to my attention.
>
> if hosts_file is not in squid.conf it still tries /etc/hosts right?

Yes, but it is only read on startup. Any changes done to /etc/hosts will
not be automatically picked up by Squid.

> but anyway squid does not respect OS settings as in /etc/host.conf ?

Correct.

Well, this is in the default configure options.

If you on the other hand build Squid with --disable-internal-dns then it
will use the OS resolver functions with all it's nsswitch/hosts.conf
magic, but at a significant performance penalty due to the API limitations
of the OS resolver functions.