RE: [squid-users] need to change file file descriptors size ?

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:04:15 +0100

> FAQ only explains -how- to increase the limit, not what the
> impact is. Or
> perhaps I've missed a section....

  Remarkable : the FAQ answers a possible 'need/situation' when using
squid.
I.e. cache.log reporting , 'running out of file descriptors'.

> The need is dependant on how heavily your proxy will be used.
> I'd go for
> an initial filedesc limit of 4096, monitor the usage, and
> increase if you
> get 'out of descriptors' errors.

I'd go for the default value squid uses. And see on term whether
this needs increasing. Check cachemgr -> General run time information (too).

> I have a Linux machine here with a filedesc limit of 16384,
> and I don't
> notice a performance degradation.

 Again, you take a more beautifull wife, only when you now have
 an ugly one :-) (*2)

 M.