Re: [squid-users] How to configure Squid to behave like Netscape-Proxy?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:14:44 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Simon Liu wrote:

> My application accesses a Shoutcast server which does not return HTTP
> headers, but instead returns its own custom headers, followed by
> binary data.

Why would one request Shoutcast servers via a HTTP proxy?

> Some users are have reported that when behind a Netscape Proxy, the
> proxy inserts its own HTTP response header, before the server's actual
> response. I am not sure but I guess the proxy detects that the
> server's reponse is missing a HTTP response, so it constructs one.

A very odd thing to do..

> I would like to know if it is possible to configure Squid to behave
> like the Netscape Proxy, and insert a HTTP response header. That way,
> I can do local testing to ensure my app handles this situation.

Why? Squid sends you the reply as-is, thinking the server is a obsolete
HTTP/0.9 server sending just raw unlabelled data.

> ******** Netscape Proxy *********
> HTTP/1.0 200 Ok
> Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/3.51
> Date: Wednesday, 02-Mar-05 23:10:51 GMT
> Via: 1.1 S1PS
> ******** End Netscape Proxy *********
>
> ICY 200 OK
> icy-notice1...

Interesting, but also a little bit of a lie.. the real content-type is a
shoutcast stream including the shoutcast header, not an mpeg audio
object.. I wonder if they just happened to pick up the content-type from
the shoutcast stream header by mistake from it resembling HTTP, or
deliberately have support for inspecting shoutcast headers and extracting
the content type. My bet is on the first...