Re: [squid-users] How to configure Squid to behave like Netscape-Proxy?

From: Simon Liu <macdeveloper@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:14:15 +0000

Hi Henrik,

> Why would one request Shoutcast servers via a HTTP proxy?

Some users are at work, and I guess their corporate network routes all
traffic through their proxies.

> Why? Squid sends you the reply as-is, thinking the server is a obsolete
> HTTP/0.9 server sending just raw unlabelled data.

That's the behaviour I would have expected from any proxy - to be as
transparent as possible. BTW: What's the rule of thumb concerning the
"Proxy-agent" header? Do proxies normally insert this into any valid
HTTP response, so that the receiving client knows it came from a
proxy?

> > ******** Netscape Proxy *********
> > HTTP/1.0 200 Ok
> > Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/3.51
> > Date: Wednesday, 02-Mar-05 23:10:51 GMT
> > Via: 1.1 S1PS
> > ******** End Netscape Proxy *********
> >
> > ICY 200 OK
> > icy-notice1...
>
> Interesting, but also a little bit of a lie.. the real content-type is a
> shoutcast stream including the shoutcast header, not an mpeg audio
> object..

Yep... I'm not sure why the proxy is doing this. I guess I'll just
have to workaround this in my application. I thought I'd ask you guys
in case there was a general case which I could test against, but it
seems this is a strange situation.

Thanks.
--Simon