RE: [squid-users] ibm.com & Squid 2.5 & auth

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:30:51 +0200

> Hello,
>
> I have problems accessing 2 sites with Squid.
> I'm using Squid 2.5.6-2 on Debian Sarge. The authenticate
> program is digest (I
> tried ncsa and same problem, but maybe I should try
> again...), and the
> Browser is IE 6.0 (didn't check with other browsers)
>
> I can't attach my .conf files as I don't have access to the
> Proxy yet, but I
> think it looks more like a bug rather than a conf pb.
> Actually my squid.conf
> is quite the Debian default.
>
> Here's the situation :
>
> 1) IBM drivers
> go to http://www.ibm.com
> Get support > Downloads & Drivers
>
> Browse product support > Hardware > ThinkCentre desktop
> 2nd link 'Driver matrices'
> ThinkCentre
> IBM ThinkCentre S50 > Machine Type 8183
> Audio > ADI SoundMAX onboard audio driver
> Click on the Win 98... one (D64Z33US)
> Click on d64z33us.exe
> Choose 'Use IBM Download Director', agree, and... no download !
>
> It is an authentication problem as it works when I deactivate
> it ('http_access
> allow all' just before the 'http_access deny !Users' line in
> squid.conf,
> Users is the acl for authentication)
>
> It doesn't work with digest authentication. Is it a digest
> bug or a squid bug
> ? is it really a bug ?
> Could there be a solution ?
> Don't tell me not to use 'IBM Download Director', my client
> wants to use it.

The problem may be that this 'IBM Download Director' seems
to be a java applet. Where apparantly , you can have to set
the proxy settings again.
Depending on java versions and other issues, as far as I understand,
sometimes these applets don't inherit the browsers credentials
w.r.t. proxy authentication. Hence squid refuses (unauthenticated) http
requests from it.

You may verify this, at your final stage, when the download
is tried, check squid's access.log for the last entry reported
from your browser.

M.