Re: [squid-users] ibm.com & Squid 2.5 & auth

From: freeswan9 <freeswan9@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:50:09 +0200

Le Mercredi 30 Mars 2005 13:30, vous avez écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have problems accessing 2 sites with Squid.
> >
> > 1) IBM drivers
>>http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=thinkcentre_drivers/d64z33us.exe
> > It is an authentication problem as it works when I deactivate
> > it
> > It doesn't work with digest authentication. Is it a digest bug or a squid
bug

> The problem may be that this 'IBM Download Director' seems
> to be a java applet. Where apparantly , you can have to set
> the proxy settings again.
> Depending on java versions and other issues, as far as I understand,
> sometimes these applets don't inherit the browsers credentials
> w.r.t. proxy authentication. Hence squid refuses (unauthenticated) http
> requests from it.
>
> You may verify this, at your final stage, when the download
> is tried, check squid's access.log for the last entry reported
> from your browser.

Thanks for the idea of Java applet credentials. I searched Google and found
out that some Java applets get the auth params from the browser and this
causes problems. This was confirmed by Ethereal on the client when accessing
the IBM site. When Digest is used, the browser sends the right params
(Digest, MD5 nonce etc), but this "poorly designed applet" (expression found
in mailing lists) acts like a User-Agent ("tequila") and sends the right
login/pwd it inherited from the browser, but with auth method Basic. So Squid
doesn't understand.
#
# So THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A SQUID OR DIGEST BUG.
#
The solution is to fall back to ncsa/Basic auth :-(

Regards,