RE: [squid-users] Measuring Squid Efficiency

From: Bob Morrison <rmorris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:01:45 -0500

Thanks for the info on Calamaris.

I installed Calamaris 2.99 and came up with these results:
Total amount: requests 50000
Total amount cached: requests 19488
Request hit rate: % 38.98
Total Bandwidth: Byte
346M
Bandwidth savings: Byte 50716K
Bandwidth savings in Percent (Byte hit rate): % 14.30
Proxy efficiency (HIT [kB/sec] / DIRECT [kB/sec]): factor 4.47
Average speed increase: % 12.48

The cache in this example is a child cache that is serving about 300 PC's in
a high school. The cache size is 1GB with 16K first level dirs and 256
second level dirs.

Should I be worried about these numbers? If so, what should I do to improve
them?

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Morrison, CNE, MCSE
Network Administrator