Re: [squid-users] Strange squid crashes

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:56:11 -0500

> > Pardon me, but: did you make sure that it was Solaris problem BEFORE you
> > removed the cache, or just after it?
>
> After Marc pointed me to the FAQ, I read the thing, saw in
> /var/adm/messages the exact errors given in the FAQ, and thus concluded it
> was this problem. I first tried just tunefs, with no result, so after that
> I did a newfs, tunefs,

Can you share what exactly you changed with 'tunefs'?

> and then recreated the cache dirs with 'squid -z'.
> It's happily serving requests again (and happily serving happy users in
> the US who won't need to use a cache in the Netherlands anymore...)

On a related note, how horrible is it to do the following to a
Solaris-based cache server (aside from the obvious impact from wiping
out the cache) ?

     su - squid -c 'squid -k shutdown'; sleep 31
     umount /squid
     newfs -v -o space -m 1 -f 8192 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0
     mount /squid
     su - squid -c 'squid -z && squid -s'

Is it reasonable to use '-f 8192' to eliminate the fragmentation
problem on Solaris through brute force?

Thanks,

Kevin Kadow

--