Re: [squid-users] Strange squid crashes

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:34:46 +0200

On 06.04 15:56, Kevin wrote:
> On a related note, how horrible is it to do the following to a
> Solaris-based cache server (aside from the obvious impact from wiping
> out the cache) ?
>
> su - squid -c 'squid -k shutdown'; sleep 31

you probably can do this as root without su-ing to squid user.

> umount /squid
> newfs -v -o space -m 1 -f 8192 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0
> mount /squid
> su - squid -c 'squid -z && squid -s'
>
> Is it reasonable to use '-f 8192' to eliminate the fragmentation
> problem on Solaris through brute force?

I do not think so. Fragments are used to lower disk usage, with big
fragments you'll have to decrease your cache size (and that will decrease
your cache effectivity). The recommended solution of this problem does not
mention fragment size.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.