[squid-users] DNS/Domain Blocklists

From: Ben Wylie <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:40:31 +0100

Thanks for all of your advice so far.

Using the latest stable SquidNT 2.5, I've been trying to set up some content
filtering. First of all, for advertisements, but then to block porn and
illegal/undesirable sites for our own network.

I managed to get various lists of domain names, and wrote a perl script to
convert it into regular expressions, so that blockedsite.com would also
block www.blockedsite.com. This works for small lists, but it appears that
when I start the windows service, it loads all of the lists into memory, so
some of the large 9mb files of blocked domains cause it to behave very
strangely - and in fact, fail to start. I just watch the memory usage go up
and up, even after it says it has failed to start the service.

I guess that that is what is good about squidguard, that it must query a
database, rather than keeping the whole database in memory.

Does anyone using SquidNT either have a system for blocking large numbers of
domains without having memory consumption going through the roof. Also it
takes an absolute age checking through 9mbs worth of regular expression, so
that isn't really practical anyway.
If there isn't that kind of local system, is there any kind of domain lookup
services which check a domain name against a black list on the internet,
much like the anti-spam DNSBL lookups which are very effective. The DNSBL
lists are publicly accessible lists which mailservers can query against ip
addresses from whom they have received emails, if they are in the blocklist,
they reject the email. IS there a similar system where the url can be
checked against separate remote blacklists of a)advert site b)port
c)warez...

I'd appreciate any advice on whether there is anything for windows that
works in either of these two methods.

Thanks
Ben